A trifle is a dessert with layers of custard (or pudding) or whipped cream, fruit, and pound cake or sponge cake. My mom makes a version of this every year for Christmas, but she soaks her pound cake with brandy and also puts brandy in her whipped cream. We always joke with her that one bite of her trifle is like a shot of booze! Needless to say, we are very “happy” after dessert. Trifle is usually made in a big pedestal glass serving bowl so you can see all the pretty layers. But you can plate this any way you like! And this one will also have grilled angel food cake instead of pound cake for a warm, really rich and soft layer.
Grilled Strawberry Trifle Ingredients:
- 8 1/2-inch slices angel food cake (2 pieces for each serving is serving on a plate)
- 1 stick melted unsalted butter
- 1 cup vanilla pudding (just buy it already made or use instant pudding)
- 1-2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup Strawberry Whipped Cream (see recipe below)
- 1/3 cup Strawberry Sauce (see recipe below)
Grilled Strawberry Trifle Directions:
Preheat the grill to medium. Lightly coat each slice of cake with the melted butter. (Be careful not to use too much butter as it may drip onto the coals etc. and cause flare-ups, burning the cake.) Grill the angel food cake on both sides until it has beautiful grill marks. This won’t take long.
Build the trifle on a plate or glass bowl from the bottom up: cake, pudding, strawberries, cake, pudding, strawberries, whipped cream.
Give a final drizzle of the Strawberry Sauce over the top.